Friday, February 14, 2014

Open Letter to Amy Loudenbeck - Repeal Discrimination in our Constitution

Rep. Loudenbeck,

I don't live in your district, but I am an elected official as a Janesville City Councilmember.  Since we both represent some of the same citizens, I was hoping to request a meeting with you in person.

What I'm hoping to discuss is proposed legislation by Rep. JoCasta Zamarripa and the counterpart version in the Senate proposed by Tim Carpenter.  To repeal the Constitutional ban for same-sex, committed couples to marry.  

I know the Republican Party generally has a stance in opposition to same-sex marriages, but I'm hoping you will keep an open mind.  Several people know friends or family whom are gay, in my case, my little sister - Sarah.  Next summer I'll be marrying the love of my life, Elizabeth, yet my sister doesn't have that same right.  She would have to go to Illinois, Iowa or Minnesota to do so - why not her home state which she grew up in and loves?

I believe this issue is past most of Wisconsin's citizens, and if a vote were held today it would be over whelming to overturn the ban.

I like to think I know the kind of person you are.  We may not belong to same political party or agree 90% of the time, but when it comes to matters of the heart I know you to be a good person.  

This is an issue of privacy and personal matters - why should government interfere?  In the video on your web page you say "I believe that state government has a fundamental role of insuring that individuals are protected and treated fairly without the burdens of excessive regulation..."

How are our gay brothers and sisters being "treated fairly"?

"All men are created equal" is enshrined in our Declaration of Independence, I like to think this is still true.

I ask that you please sit down with me, face to face, and have a conversation on this issue.  I don't want a "canned" answer in the form a nice a letter, but a heart felt conversation on the issue in person.  I would even like to bring along my sister so you can get to know her.  To see that she is no threat to "traditional marriage" but an amazing young woman with hopes and dreams and has plans of living out her version of the American Dream.

You can be a trail blazer and leader on your side of the aisle by supporting the repeal of the constitutional ban on same-sex marriages and be on the right side of history.  Let's make history together.

I thank you for your time and public service to the people of Janesville and the 31st Assembly District.

Sincerely,

Sam Liebert





Proud Wisconsin Citizen
608-359-1956
sLiebert@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Very personal appeal, hopefully it will be well recieved. To think that in this day and age Wisconsin and it's leadership would want to be on the wrong side of history is disturbing to say the least. If I can help in any way please let me know. I would love to meet and talk with anyone who will listen.

    ReplyDelete